About Me

My photo
Lapsed anthropologist-turned-burlesque performer and post-modern punk housewife/homesteader living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a hunky husband, gorgeous daughter, adorable corgi, fluffy rabbit, and three clucking fabulous chickens.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Yummy Lactose-Free Mac n Cheese


 Yesterday, I finally felt well enough to make food, which is good because there wasn't much left in the house. A quick trip to the grocery store remedied that, and last night we feasted on ooey-gooey mac n' cheese fit for Mr. Bear's digestive system. He developed lactose-intolerance in the past couple of years, which effectively put an end to his cheese-fiend ways.

I adapted this recipe from The New Vegan Table, and it's an awesome recipe.

Alterations I made to the recipe:

I boiled the macaroni in lactose-free milk to make it creamier.
I added half a bag of frozen peas.
I used one bag of Daiya Cheddar Shreds and one block of Daiya Jalapeno-Garlic Havarti.
I seasoned with vegetarian Bacon Salt.

Other than that, I followed the recipe as written. It's super easy and super satisfying.


 Don't be misled by the fact that this is lactose-free and easily vegan-able, this is not health food. It is sodium-laden indulgent so-bad-for-you-it's-good food.

I neglected to document the process, but let me tell you that Daiya cheese melts so very very beautifully. In fact, the mixture of cheddar shreds and jalapeno havarti alone would make a ridiculously awesome nacho cheese. I recommend it to anyone who has been looking for a good substitute.


Mr. Bear(who typically detests homemade mac n cheese) declared it the best mac n cheese he's ever had. High praise indeed, from a former cheese-fiend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...